Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Magik Markers/Sic Alps 12"


Somebody pinch me. I couldn't believe my luck when I found this, Magik Markers and Sic Alps on one 12".

The A side is written by gritty noise poppers Sic Alps, with help from Ty Segall and Lars Finberg (Intelligence). The stand out thing for me is abrasive noise in the first track. "Guxxe Bathe Ballade" is filtered out gradually through their three songs here. "The Greatest" which closes side A, by comparison to "Guxxe Bathe Ballade" is softer and clearer while the abrasiveness disappears, melodies surface coming through stronger. You might hear this too, I don't know.

B side features shredding drone makers Magik Markers, whose most recent full length on Drag City Balf Quarry is hands down my number one album of 2009. Elisa Ambrogio's reverb-ed vocals howl through psychedelic guitars and hypnotic bass parts on opening song "The Diamond Guitar of Tico Feo." "White Map Laid with White Ink" is a total jam and Pete Nolan's phenomenal drumming seems completely effortless here. Side B closes with Kraut Rock-esque "Tighten One and Loosen the Other."

I believe the first pressing of the EP (pink) was limited to 600 copies and is now sold out. You can still find the second pressing (blue) around though.

No comments:

Post a Comment